Thursday, October 28, 2004

Greetings

I am happy to join the blogging world. Currently, I am a graduate assistant at Villanova University, helping professors complete research while earning my MBA. I graduated in 2003 from Princeton University. I am an avid runner and one of the main purposes of this site is to begin keeping track of my running log once again. I had the opportunity to travel to Japan in early October as part of an Ivy-League alumni team and compete against the Japanese, who were wonderful hosts. I ran a 14:35 5K, which I was pleased with. We saw great big-city life in Tokyo, tranquil shrines in Kyoto, and had many interactions with locals in Izumo. The last night there, we ran from Tokyo to Yokohama, about 20+ miles, hard. After checking out the guidebook on our return, I realized we had wandered around the largest dept. store in the world, and stretched by the largest ferris wheel in the world. Then we stinky Americans rode the subway back to Tokyo, clowning on the car because nobody would say anything. I'll see if I can get some photos up here eventually and hopefully some stories.

My watch is full, so before I erase all my digits again, I will at least try to record them. On that note, here's what I've been doing lately:

10/16: 68min. Back in the States. So sleep-deprived and jetlagged. Still got out for a good run in the hilly woods near my family's home. 10.5+ miles

10/17/04 AM: 26.5 min, 4 mile light morning run, around the crappy park nearby
PM: 55.5min, rather tired, 8.5 mile afternoon run

10/18/04 I know I went to the Green in Wissahickon park and ran a 4 mile tempo in around 20:25. Also ran 4 hill sprints afterwards. 3 mile warmup, cooldown. Also ran a few in the morning, though really slept in till noon, as I was jet-lagged from Japan. 14 or so for the day

10/19/04 80min- Believe this was a decent run around the Willows.

10/20/04 67min-This run was by myself, from apartment out to Haverford and back. Stopped by to see if anyone wanted to run, but most were going later and I didn't feel like waiting. After run, I headed back out and watched the Haverford Invite.

10/21: AM: 2 mile warm-up, then: 5:02 mile, (1:30 rest), 5:02 mile, 1:55 rest, 5:01 mile, 2:07 rest, 2:55 1000m, 2:58 rest, 5:00 mile, 25 min cool down. Worked out with Kerrigan and Milos. Team went to Rose Tree Park, south of Philly. Hilly intervals, not good footing= not fast and easy place to run. A good, solid workout. My HR monitor was not working much, but occassionally during the rest it would bleep on and look fine. Think I'm starting to get into a little bit of shape.

10/22: AM: Sunday long run was pretty long. 2 hours. Back at home, hit up the Horseshoe trail and Warwick County Park in Chester Co, PA. Lots of trails, but stumbled over lots of rocks as I got quite tired. Longer than I usually do. Call it 19 miles.

10/23: PM 59min: Haverford, etc. Rather tired from yesterday's long run, so didn't double. Pace quickened nicely in Haverford, made it worth coming out to run with the boys. A solid 9-9.5 miles. Also did some drills, strides, etc. Did the rope climb twice, which is a humorous 'right of passage' deal at Nova, it seems. Guys seem to be getting better at it, as I've seen some (Steve, Richard) flying up the rope, when they couldn't before. Then, there are always guys (Pelerin), who try to hide in the corner and not go up the rope. Marcus got us chalk this time, and we had fun with it.

10/24: AM: 7 X 1000m on the grass, over at some high school nearby Nova. Ran with non-BigEast guys, since everyone else is preping for their big meet. We did 7 X 1000m in : 313, (209rest), 3:02, (245r), 306,(235r), 305, (405r), 307, (210r), 307. Actually felt quite good. Course isn't exactly fast, hills and mud and whatnot. Ran faster than was directed, but felt better over 2nd half than first half of workout. Left me feeling good, wish that we could've done more; Marcus sometimes is more conservative than I would be. Oh yeah, Sonia O'Sullivan showed up today, which was rather cool.
PM: Got out for another 5 miles. Did some lifting with my dumbells and Pilates.

10/25 AM: 90min, ran trails at the Willows. After 19min of narrow busy road, I can finally get on some grass. Don't like most of the runs around Nova, but this one is decent. Went rather long, but hey, what the heck. Tried to keep pace decent, but wasn't rolling or anything. Call it 13.5 miles.

10/26 AM: 2.5 mile warm-up, 12Xhills (half 37-8 seconds, half more like 16 seconds). Rest was the downhills. Ran with some of the guys not going to BigEast. Very different workout than what I've been doing, hence not quite ready for it (much more anaerobic than normal). Workout totalled only about 2.5. Then 2 mile cool-down. Rode bike back home and did another 3, because knew I may not get out later. This turned out to be true. I forced myself to eat a fairly good meal, rushed to finish up some work for Jonathan, than rushed off to catch the train to the Philly Greyhound station. I hopped on a bus to Baltimore to visit Stacy, my girlfriend of almost 2 years. Damn Greyhound. They always find a way to be late, and I always find a way to sit next to an obese person, or a crying baby. Today, it was the crying baby, which made it impossible to catch any rest, so I played some Zelda and read the paper. Called it a day when I got here. Should be studying, but doing this Blog deal instead.

More later. Farewell.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home