Saturday, September 17, 2005

Yellow

Me powering home in the final strech of the Providence 5K.

9.17.05
44 min, about 6-6.5 miles, down Lancaster Ave. to St. Joe's. Later in the day, Stacy and I went into Philly and picked up my race equipment for tomorrow's "PDR" half-marathon in Philly. I'm hoping to have an all right showing, and help out my team. With a stacked field, I'm nervous for my first foray into racing above 10K. With Deena Kastor going after the AR along with the women's Athens marathon medalist, I'll be fortunate to beat out all the heroines. Today, Stacy and I went to a Border's downtown for a spot of studying. Very busy and much traffic in the big city.
9.16.05
AM: 7-7.5 miles. Ran around Haverford, saw Artie there. Also threw in 4X200 at the track for kicks. So humid out, my trousers were soaked with perspiration. Humidity forecast for tomorrow's half marathon: 85%. Oh bother.
Worked a bit at Villanova today. I have finally gotten all 1500 surveys for my professor in the mail, but now I have to call and follow up at each of the 500 companies. This is not always fun. Also, I've noticed that a disproportionate amount of secretaries are named "Pat" or "Pam", as was the secretary at my internship. What's the moral of this story? I rule.
PM: 40 min. 5.5-6 miles. Ran around the neighborhoods in Hardmore. Found some swank, mansionesque establishments.
9.15.05
10 miles I believe. My watch died however, so I can't verify time. I hustled over to Radio Shack, where they sold me a battery, but made me change it there myself for liability reasons. Well, joke was on them, because it took my half an hour and I spread out, blocking their front register. Since it took so long, my parking meter expired. As we were heading back towards the gallant Taurus, I saw a pompous-looking meter maid wadling off in the distance. Sure enough, she was making a direct line towards my automobile. I broke into a trot and reached the scene as she was swinging around my car to get the liscense digits. Seconds away from disaster, I rolled out of the lot with a wave, riding high on adrenaline. Then I remembered the parking ticket I got in Baltimore last week, and went home to mail off the funds.
9.14.05
2.5 mile warm-up. 6X1 mile at the Haverford grass loop. Miles between 5:00-5:05 (in trainers), rest was between 1:55 and 2:00. 2-2.5 mile cool down, a nice workout. In my simulated marketing experience, my group is middle of the pack. Gotta go for the gold!
9.13.05
AM: 9.5 miles or so. About Haverford.
PM: Around 4.5 miles I believe, around the neighborhoods and local park.
9.12.05
AM: 1 hour 37.5 minute for a decent long run. 5 loops around Haverford College, which did get old after a while. Caught up with some "Developing countries" studying. Stayed up late tonight only to watch the Eagles get humiliated. Sad, sad day.
9.11.05
Providence race! 20min warmup, then 5k race in 14:44. Blocked from blasting out at the start by people in front of me, but still split 4:35 and 9:10. Much of the opening mile is down hill, and the same proportion of the final mile is uphill. For much of the race, there was an Ivy pack racing each other. I managed to be the 4th Ivy human across the line, securing my spot for Japan. Cooled down around 25 min. Sunny and warm, but not bad running weather.
Flight back to Philly was a-ok, even signed a few autographs, which I'm sure the recipients will be disappointed with later on.
9.10.05
35 min relaxed run in Providence, checked out the course, and a did a few strides. Had to get up early and I cut it quite close with my flight. I decided to fly at the last minute, but I'm glad I avoided the long drive. I was picked up at the airport and transported to the race hotel HQ, where I immediately headed to the hospitality suite and got hooked up with a free massage. We were treated very well and it was nice to masquerade as an elite for the weekend. The massage man confirmed my hypothesis that my soleus muscle was really tight, probably leading to my achilles issues. My calves felt a little sore, but definitely better after being worked on. He also stuck a fist in my stomach to somehow work my hip flexors. "I hope you didn't have a big lunch" and "This will feel a little funny as your intestines slide back into place" are 2 statements that made me a tinge nervous.
That night at dinner, Adam Goucher introduced himself to my table, after he came over to talk with Paul Morrison. Growing up, Goucher was always someone I looked up to, so I enjoyed bandying about a few words with him. I played it cool, though. I was like, "Later, Alan" I think I heard Josh weeping with pleasure later that night. Well, either that, or the pain from Texas's narrow victory over OSU.

In other news, This online game has been way too entertaining to me. Plus the song has been stuck in my head for a few days. I challenge you to beat 67.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home