Wednesday, April 20, 2005

An obese blog update

Greetings my fellow mammals.

I apologize for depriving you of my daring wit and stunning adventures of the past fortnight or two. Many of my day to day musings and tomfoolery will no doubt now be lost forever.
I present my running log, around which I will provide perhaps a tidbit or 2 of further insight. The framework of this entry may force those not interested in running to dodge over these sections, my apologies for this inundation. Without further ado, more than you ever needed to know!...

Wed. 4.20.05
PPM: Following class, around 9pm, I bounded around the neighborhoods for 31.5min, or about 4.5 miles. Actually, more like slogged than bounded. Did wear my new Mizuno "Nirvana" shoes, which offer superior cushioning but weigh about 25 pounds.
PM: 54.5 min, 8 miles. Ran down the Ardmore trail. Quite warm, in the 80's. Wanted to run in the morning, but held up till afternoon.

I wasted much of the morning handling multiple phone calls to figure out my rabies situation. Yesterday, I was called by the Health Dept. and told to procure a rabies shot due to my canine encounter last Sunday. I would like to avoid this if possible, but with serious matters such as this, it is superior to be safe than sorry. I believe I finally resolved the issue and will minimize any mouth foaming.

I had to rock a 15 minute presentation on my own in Econ. of Strategy tonight. Don't worry, I managed to get in a photo of myself doing Kung-Fu, a dog wearing a hat, and the Muppets. My first question from the audience- "Where did you get such mad PowerPoint skills?"

Tues. 4.19.05
20min warm-up to the Villanova Track. 4Xstrides. Then 2X800m in trainers to warmup, followed by 8X400 in spikes, and 2X200m. Jogged 100m or so for rest. This was my first time stuffing my pounders into spikes since last October, and I better try 'em out. Spikes feel phenomenal, a different world. I ask, why do people walk/go very slowly in lane 1? I was going at least 2 or 3 times as fast as 3 pedestrian clowns clogging lane 1. Speaking of whales, there was a whale in the Delaware River near Trenton. By the way, a wholfin was recently born, which is part killer whale and part dolphin. Sounds like an awesome brute.
2:30 800m, (66 rest), 2:28 800m, (1:59 rest changed shoes), 68.8, (60 rest), 70.2, (60 r), 70.0, (60r), 68.2, (57r), 68.7, (70r), 69.7, (59r), 69.9, (63r), 69.1, (92r), 30.69, (91r), 29.99
21min cool down. Total for day: 10+ miles.

Received annoying phone call from Health Dept. to get rabies shot. Although Baird is an anagram for Rabid, I'd rather not have to deal with it.

Habemus papam!!! We have a pope (we meaning Catholics, not really me). I witnessed the new pope spectacle live on tv. Amusing that the color of the smoke signal could not be identified for some time. The new Pope Benedict seems very harsh and conservative, not to mention old like a vegetable in the rear of my refrigerator. My professor, Chuck, referred to Beney as John Paul's "hatchet man" and considers him to be on his personal "enemy list." He also shared his comments on Fox News.

My group turned in the final Vino Wine business plan, after a great deal of time and effort. Cheers!

Mon. 4.18.05
65.5 min, 10 miles. My first run since the 'incident'. Steered the other direction and loped around Patterson Park for a decent run.

Weekly Total- 71 miles. A week of pluses and minuses. As TS Eliot and Chaucer have proclaimed "April is the cruelest month." The lost long run crippled my mileage.

Sun. 4.17.05
24.5 min, 4 miles. Was headed out for a long run, but didn't make it too far. In Wynman Park, behind Hopkins, I was running along the path that I very often rumble through. Suddenly, a canine beast ripped through the trees and attached himself to my hip. I was shocked, as there was no barking to warn me of the impending attack. I yelled and pushed the mongrel from me; he growled, I yelled to keep him away, then his owner came and grabbed him. As I was speaking to the owner and in the process of ascertaining a phone #, 3 police officers swarmed the scene. They came down hard on the dude, apparantly they had just asked him to put his bitch on a leash. The four-legged freak was a husky or german shepherd, or combination. The police called an ambulance, and suggested that I go with them to the hospital. They cleaned me up, took me to Union Hospital (sirens unnecessarily screaming), where they took me out on a "fat man" wheelchair. This was a bit humorous, as one could fit 2 of me on it. I got checked out and received a tetanus shot before hitting the road with Stacy. Hopefully my emergency insurance will cover my costs, if not, I will attempt to contact the dog owner. If this fails, I have no qualms about filing a civil suit.
The dog could have bit in a worse area, as it was I think my shorts protected me (though they ripped). I have a gash about 3cm, and a few other puncture wounds and now a big bruise. I always thought I'd fight a dog if it every came after me, but I was so caught off guard I didn't have the chance.
Although I toyed with the idea of going for another run later, I decided against it. The stars weren't aligned correctly today for me to be pursuing physical fitness, methinks.

Sat. 4.16.05
69.5min. 10.5-11 miles. Ran up and about Wynman Park/etc. Hace unos tacos deliciosos con mi mujer, Stacy. Ole! We also hit up the inner harbor and studied on the balcony of Barnes. The day was as delicious as my frappa-ma-thingy that Stacy got me.
I also cashed in the Jos A. Bank gift card to buy a shirt for meself. I avoid shopping by myself, so Stacy provided this necessary experience. I had to be measured: I was a mean 15.5 X 34 inches, and the gentleman commented on my massive w i n g s p a n.

Fri. 4.15.05
28.5 min warmup. Drove up to Hopkins in the AM to do workout. I swear, lacrosse teams are on the field 24/7 in the spring here. I couldn't access the needed terrain. Disgruntled, I jogged off to Dru Hill, to do reps around the reservoir. They were pretty sad, but I don't know if the marks I used were accurate. In the end, I just made it a fartlek, also had to make pitstop in a shady looking public restroom with no doors, in case you were interested. At least I didn't go to the bathroom in front of millions, as Britain's Paula Radcliffe later did in the weekend, stopping to relieve herself while leading the London Marathon. What a silly Brit.
2.35on, 1:53off, 2:34on, 71, 2:29, 85, 2:32, 4:28, 2:32, 63, 2:26, 79, 2:30, 72, 2:30, some strides.
15min. Very "bleh" workout. Disappointed, felt the need for speed today. Total miles-- say...10.5-11 miles.

Following the crappy workout, I backed my car into an unseen short fence while parallel parking. As Homer may bellow, "D'OH!"

The day did improve from here. Stacy and I went to 'liver rounds' at school, where we were able to obtain free beverages and sustenance. I did, however, have to talk to other humans, which can be difficult. It was "re-visit" weekend and different recruits were even asking me questions. I responded to their queries, "Sure, Charm City is bodacious."
We scored $5 student tickets to watch the Orioles wallop the New York Losers, er, I mean Yankess. Lots of "Yankees Sucks" chants, which I can't argue with, but wish there was more creativity, like we sports at Princeton always had. "Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh SIT DOWN YOU SUCK!" (this is yelled at PU games when someone fouls out). I say this now when people give presentations.

Thurs. 4.14.05
69min, 11 miles. I do believe I ran down to Willows, as I don't mix it up a great deal these days.
Gave a presentation in my Euro Business class on Turkey. Unfortunately on the country, not the celebrated sandwich meat.

Wed. 4.13.05
44min, 6.5 miles, early in the morn. Around a boarding school in the neighborhood.
35min, 5 miles in the evening. I agreed to work for Alan today, who is mobbed with work. Stepped out of the pressure cooker for lunch in Rittenhouse Square. Split up run to make it more digestible.
Tues. 4.12.05
20min warm up.
39min 22 sec for a 7.5 mile tempo run around my neighborhood. Average around 5:18 pace for a great workout. Rollilng hills, road. Put off workout till afternoon and chickened out from going to the track. Wanted to awake early and run with Bryn Mawr, but I snoozed the alarm and slept in a plethora of hours. Ah well, maybe next time.
21min cool down.

Mon. 4.11.05
65min, 10 miles, believe around Baltimore somewhere. Made sure taxes were files online tonight. Pay me, IRS! I know where you live!

Total weekly Mileage: 90 miles. A quality week, after a few downers.
Sun. 4.10.05
1 hour 41min. 16 miles. I had a very solid run down to Haverford College, and 2X about the nature loop trail. Pushed pace a wee bit. Many other primates on the path today, as it was a beautiful day to breathe and sweat.

Sat. 4.09.05
66min, 10 miles o' so. This run was on Radnor trail, which was crawling with peeps.

Fri. 4.08.05
21.5 min warmup
34:31- 6.5 mile tempo run through rolling hills neighborhood. 5X1.3 mile loop. A good workout, although I was as hungry as Terri Schiavo. Skipped race at Princeton, but probably should've done it, in hindsight, to prepare for later in the year.
22:39 cooldown, then rushed off to meet Davey Dean and Company in Filthadelphia.
I met Dave, his sister, and brother in law for dinner at Paradigm. Oddly enough, we had reservations at Dulce, but both ended up meeting at the wrong place. It was very trendy, and didn't seem like the Italian place I expected. Still cool and provided good eats. I consumd swordfish, although I was mildly surprised that no weapon was involved. The highlight of the establishment could have been the bathroom doors, which are clear until one locks them, when they frost over. I have heard that when people are drunk they forget to lock the door and it results in embarrassing situations. ho ho ho! Our waiter was also a bangin dj, or so he informed us.
While looking for the establishment, a bedraggled fellow asked me to sponsor him for the Broad Street Run. Doing my good deed for the day, I filled out a form, thinking I had 1 or 2 Georges to slip him. Unfortunatly, all I had was a fiver. I gave it to him, later realizing the guy looked a lot more like a homeless bloke than a dedicated athlete. Ah well.
Upon arriving at my street-parked car, an officer was preparing to write me a ticket. I had Houdini-like timing and got the deuce out of there, buzzing off to the Greyhound station to pick up Stacyerino. We met Dave at the movies, where we sat through "Sin City," easily the most violent movie I've experienced. It was an orgy of violence, and Stacy is now scarred. However, it was an interesting concept--comic book visualizations, very dark with splotches of color. I tried to take something from it, besides the need to take a shower.

Thurs. 4.07.05
65min- 10 miles.
34min- 5 miles. Tried out new shoes in park. Got 'em muddy already. Dandy.

Speaking of new shoes, went down to the Bryn Mawr Running Co. to pick up my new goodies for the year. I am grateful for the deal I have their with Bryn Mawr and Mizuno. I walked out with 5 pairs of shoes and a backpack loaded with new uniform, clothes, and assorted merchandise. I have an individual travel expense, which I will use once I am again blessed with fitness.

Wed. 4.06.05
32min- 4.5 miles.
51min- 7.5 miles.
This day is dead to my memory.

Tues. 4.05.05
26min warmup, over to Haverford from Nova. Did 5Xmile repeats in the grass, on a moderately tough loop--bad footing, hill at end. Wore trainers and ran by self. Moderately warm. Decent workout. Stopped by the store afterwards, but was too hungry to really rememeber what we discussed.
5:05, 91rest, 5:07, 90r, 5:04, 93r, 5:05, 97r, 5:07, 70r,
26min cooldown.
Total around 13.5 miles.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home