Friday, June 16, 2006

Bring on the May flowers...

Mon, 5/1/2006
May day! May day! I'm filling in the holes in my blog some 6 weeks later, so forgive me for forgetting all the tiny nuances of my existence.

60.5 min, 9 miles; ran through Dru hill park. Unfortunatly, I had to use the scariest restroom I've ever witnessed (I'll spare you the details).
In my international marketing class, we closed off our semester long simulation with an ace marketing plan.

Tues, 5/2/2006
15:20 warmup to Haverford.
30 min total workout; 4 X 400 w/ 70 rest : 66, 67, 66, 66, 70 rest (too short), 9:57 3200m, 3 min rest, another 4X 4 w/ 70 rest: 67 66, 66, 65. I forgot to take an extended rest after the last 400 of the initial set. My bad. Goes to show that last time I did the workout, I could've gone harder.
18 min cooldown
PM: 34 min light and lifted.

Wed, 5/3/2006
57:50 for 3 laps haverford/9.5 miles, which is speedier than normal, last lap (close to 2.5 miles) around 14 min.

Thurs, 5/4/2006
14.5 min warmup.
23:40 for 4 laps/4.5mi light tempo at Haverford. Miles in 5:28, 24, 24, 19; laps in 5:59, 5:55, 556, 548. I was going to do something on the track, but there must have been a midget convention, because the track was overrun by wee ones. On reflection, they were probably children in some sort of rec. league. There coach was giving all sorts of crazy advice like, "You must go home and eat fish tonight to properly recover from this workout." I would've recommended cereal and/or poptarts. I finished off with 5min of 6X100 sprint/strides in the grass.
13 min cooldown.

Fri, 5/5/2006
Celebrated Cinco de Mayo with 61.5 min, 3 laps haverford, 9.5 miles light. Hamstrings hurt today. Looks like my sprints Thursday weren't so wise. I was probably trying to impress the midgets too much yesterday. Tonight, I headed over to Penn and watched the HEPS 10K. Frankenstein Macreepy really did dominate. I like to think that the cowbell I brought to ring contributed significantly to his success.

Sat, 5/6/2006
35 min light, pre-race. Hammy still sore, d'oh! Bad timing.

Sun, 5/7/2006 BROAD STREET RUN!
I've been looking forward to racing Broad Street. BroadStreet, PDR, and Rothman were the "classic Philly" races I wanted to experience this year, and my mission was accomplished.
2 mile warmup around North Philly with Ross, Wags.
50:26 10 miles
23 min cooldown with Bitok, Wags, ?.
Last night I couldn't sleep, maybe because I was anticipating how early I'd have to wake up. I daresay I was also excited, like an infant on Christmas eve. I drove into Philly early early, and took the subway up to the start from near Citizen's Bank Park. It's unnerving when you have to ride a subway close to an hour just to get from the finish to the start of your race.
I claimed a sweet spot on the start and brok out hard. In fact, I set a "PR" through the first 5 miles, which I passed in around 24:27. This strategy pretty much only worked to get my photo on the front of the Philly News. I was never really comfortable, but around halfway my achilles really started to tighten up. I faded from the front to around 13th place. Not bad, I guess, since 13,500 people finished. The conditions were delightful, which allowed me to snag a decent time, even though I puttered out. Results can be located here.

Later in the day, I flew like Batman down to Baltimore to celebrate Stacy's birthdizzle. Happy quarter century!

Weekly Total: 71 miles. Solid week, with a tough 10 mile race and a PR I can live with. I may not race 10 miles ever again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home