Sunday, November 14, 2004

RRRRRRRRRRRocester

Weekly Total: 82.5 Solid week. No long run accounted for, and came down in mileage a little for race. Miles from last few weeks still weighing me down a little. Next few weeks will try to stay around 80's, and get sharp for Club Nationals out in Oregon!

Race Results here: http://www.leonetiming.com/2004/GVH04.htm

11/14/04: 3 mile warm-up w/ strides, etc. 8K cross country race up in Rochester, NY, the site of next year's cross country club nationals. The course wasn't very hilly, a few easy rollers on a 2k loop. However, there was some very muddy sections and a few tight turns which slowed it down, and provided me the opportunity to knock people about. Iran 25:01 for 9th place overall (4th Bryn Mawr runner), which I was happy with. It's one of my better cross times. Went out in about 2:58 for 1K, then slowed down, and I know 5k was 15:28. Slowed down and lost leaders around 4.5k. Ran through about 7k by myself in 'no man's land' in 8th. A bunch of guys caught me with around 1k to go. I managed to outkick many of them, which was cool. I felt like I had a lot left, but I was dry-heaving at the finish, so I must have run hard. My team dominated the meet with 20-something points, and won $750, which will probably disappear before I get my cut. I was 10 seconds away from scoring individual money, but at least I won a t-shirt for cracking the top-10. More on the trip below. We cooled down 31 min, about 4.5 miles back to the hotel. Total daily mileage: 12.5
11/13/04: Woke up early and made long-haul trip up to Rochester, NY, which is right on the border of Canada. Ran about 5.5 miles around course with team, then some easy striders. Total daily milage: 6

It was good to take an easier day on Saturday, as I haven't had a low-mileage occassion in a while. So Bryn Mawr rented a mini-van for us to drive up to Rochester. The only problem was that when driven on the highway, the van made a sound, kinda like eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee. Steve Walsh, or Big Daddy, or "the giant" as I think of him, would yell at it occassionally, but it wouldn't stop buzzing. The noise was quite vexing. A mere 5 or 6 hours in the cramped van, and we were in the northern tundra. I got sick on the ride, trying to read in the way back. It was good to get to know some of the other runners better, as I normally don't train with this team.
It took about an hour to drive a few miles to run the course, as we couldn't figure out the directions to get there. I wasn't in charge of this misguided mission, and it was pretty pathetic. We eventually found it.
That night at the hotel, there was a pre-race party which was a great opportunity to fill my pockets with free food. I also consumed as much as possible. Tom downed a beer, as many were joking of doing, but I think he took us seriously. Lots of weirdo running people at this party, and we ambled out shortly and hit up Ruby Tuesday. I ate a lot at dinner, trying to fuel myself up for the race, as my levels of food at home had been dwindling.
That night at the hotel, there was a convention of sorts for barbershop singing groups. I tell you what, it was a total freakin' freak show there. All the groups were older women in the most gaudy outifts imaginable, getting plain rowdy. Of course, the room next to mine was stuffed full of the "homo sapiens", cackling away into the wee morning hours. Around 3:30am, I heard them say they were going to "sneak out." What the heck? Go to bed.
Anyway, I still got decent sleep. We went to the race early, and it was freezing. They played such lovely artists as Shania Twain performing "I feel like a woman" and Sebastian from the Little Mermaid doing "Under the Sea" to help pump us up. The music could have been a little better.
Following the race, there was brunch at the "Nationally-Renowned Bennigan's" back at the hotel. The race material actually said this, but it was quite an average brunch. We picked up our bling and congratulations, and hit the road.
We were making good time coming home, but probably a little too good, as the van got pulled over for speeding. Ouch, sorry, Terrence. There goes your prize money.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home